Friday, September 23, 2011

Spanish Lesson. (Lesson in Spanish)

I'm "practicing my Spanish" at work with the older of the two Mexicans that share my workspace at the orchard.

A week ago, he could see I was preoccupied by something on my mind. He told me I think too much.
Probably true.

Today, a slow day at the orchard due to the rain, he and I chatted. Very difficult. Spanglish. Broken sentences. Broken words. Talking about a broken heart. (My broken heart, to be specific.) "Mi amor..." "No more." That's how clear it is. I stopped to consume the simplicity of this phrase. "Mi amor. No more." Maybe it's beautiful because it's simple. Maybe it's beautiful because it's English, it's Spanish, and it rhymes.

We continued to talk and he tells me to forget it. "No es facil," I say. (it's not easy.) And he tells me I have to say "No me importa" (don't matter to me). Any ideas communicated between us must be repeated and repeated. So he says "he come. no me importa! he leave. no me importa! no me importa! I don't care! doesn't matter! no me importa!"

No comments:

Post a Comment